INDIANAPOLIS - For several Indianapolis Colts players, it's out with the old, and in with the new - well, for their jersey numbers, anyway.
The team today announced uniform number assignments and changes for several players, including the team's key offseason additions - quarterback Philip Rivers, cornerbacks Xavier Rhodes and T.J. Carrie and defensive tackles Sheldon Day and DeForest Buckner - as well as notable changes for three returning players.
Here are the additions and changes of note (jersey numbers are subject to change at any time):
• Quarterback Philip Rivers has been assigned No. 17 - the same number he wore in his first 16 NFL seasons with the San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers.
• Second-year cornerback Rock Ya-Sin has changed to No. 26; the 2019 second-round pick wore No. 34 in his rookie season. He wore No. 2 at Presbyterian College and No. 6 at Temple.
• Cornerback Xavier Rhodes has been assigned No. 27, the same number he wore at Florida State. Rhodes wore No. 29 in his first seven seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.
• Cornerback T.J. Carrie has been assigned No. 38, the same number he's worn in his first six seasons with the Oakland Raiders and the Cleveland Browns.
• Veteran defensive end Justin Houston has changed to No. 50, which was previously worn by linebacker Anthony Walker. Houston wore No. 50 in his first eight seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, but wore No. 99 last year in his first season with the Colts.
• After wearing No. 50 the first three seasons of his career, Walker switches to No. 54. The 2017 fifth-round pick wore No. 18 and No. 1 during his college career at Northwestern.
• Defensive tackle Sheldon Day has been assigned No. 91, the same number he wore as a team captain at Notre Dame. Day wore No. 92 as a fourth-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2016-17, and then wore No. 96 the last two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.
• That leaves defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, who will be wearing his familiar No. 99 with the Colts, the number he wore in his first four seasons with the 49ers. Buckner wore No. 44 in his college career at Oregon.
Other jersey number assignments and changes for the Colts:
Wide receiver Artavis Scott has been assigned No. 1 Wide receiver Rodney Adams has been assigned No. 2 Running back Bruce Anderson III has been assigned No. 35 Cornerback Lafayette Pitts has been assigned No. 40 Cornerback Picasso Nelson Jr. has been assigned No. 43 Tight end Matt Lengel has been assigned No. 47 Guard Chaz Green has been assigned No. 69 Tackle Brandon Hitner has been assigned No. 75 Tackle Andrew Donnal has been assigned No. 76 Tight end Xavier Grimble has been assigned No. 85